Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chad Ware - Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Flood

Q – Prior to your involvement of the emergency Room Department at Mercy Medical Center due to the Cedar River flooding had you ever been involved in a disaster?
Chad: Yes, I started working in disaster preparedness in 2001. I had always been the emergency department representative to our hospital disaster committee. In 2004 I joined Iowa’s Federal Disaster Medical Assistance Team and responded to Hurricane Katrina, Rita, Ike and also on a Health and Human Services response to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
Q –What did you learn from this experience that might be applied to any disaster?
Chad: After the Cedar River flood were any of the disaster plans changed for your hospital? I gained a great knowledge of the Incident Command System and how valuable it can be in unusual events. Not just disasters, we have been able to apply the system to a number of events across our organization.
Q – What do you think are the most important characteristics of an Emergency Room Nurse? Can these same characteristics be applied to disaster workers? In other words how is the work alike? And, how is it different?
Chad: I think Emergency Room Nurses always have to be prepared for the next case that walks or rides through the door. This gives us a unique experience that can be applied to disaster or other unusual events. The ability to adapt to the situation, flexibility, and eagerness to take on the next challenge.
Q – When it was all over what was your families response to your involvement in the evacuation? Do your little girls see daddy as a hero?
Chad: They know I was involved in the evacuation and that I travel a bit more to talk to people about what we learned from the flood but that is all. They are all young and have always been proud that I help people in my job. My wife and I both talk to them about how proud we are to be a part of this community and the culture of the the people here in Iowa. We always try to point out how people came together to help one another. We hope that we can instill as sense of community in them for the future.
Q – What is next for Chad Ware?
Chad: Currently I am having a hard time seeing past pandemic influenza, but I love Mercy Medical Center and feel I have found a home. I hope to always have a place there and can contribute to the success of the organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment