Saturday, October 17, 2009

Perry Prince -- The Day of the Great Wave

Q – Your story, The Day of the Great Wave takes place during the aftermath of the 2004 Asian Tsunami. In what other countries have you served outside the United States? Tell us a little about those experiences.
Perry: In addition to my work in Sri Lanka following the 2004 Asian tsunami, I’ve served during the past twelve years in Puerto Rico, Guam, Saipan, Tinian, India, and Uganda. Although each of these experiences has been distinct in terms of the nature and duration of the disaster, as well as the particular features of each culture, all have involved extreme circumstances of loss and personal distress. In contrast to the many years in which I worked as an individual and family counselor in the U.S., the focus of my international work has been primarily at the community level. — Still, since communities are comprised of individuals, the rewards of making a difference and the memories I have of these experiences, always include the personal stories of the people whose lives I’ve shared.
Q –In your story you say "All needed to be heard.” Speak to this need to tell our story and to have it be genuinely heard by another. How does that help with the healing process after a crisis?
Perry: I think “genuinely heard” are the key words, since being a focused and empathic listener is the most important skill for someone doing disaster work to develop— much more than having an arsenal of techniques or interventions. Large scale crises involve great losses and a disruption of everything that people count on to feel secure. Telling the story of such experiences to an understanding person offers an opportunity for sorting out, clarifying, and reflecting on experiences which can be nearly impossible to comprehend. I would also add that while the act of telling one’s story to a caring person is healing for many people, there are people, and possibly cultures, for whom this is not the case. Accepting reticence and restraint about sharing personal details can also be important.
Q – What is it about international humanitarian work that you find most satisfying?
Perry: The simple and truthful answer is that helping people who have been through experiences that range from very difficult to unthinkable is very gratifying. I’d also add that my lifelong interest in social anthropology and ethnographic art has been part of the excitement I feel in learning about people of other cultures, and in taking myself out of my familiar routines to find how to provide useful services to people who are different from myself.
Q – Besides your story, The Day of the Great Wave, have you had other writing/publishing experiences? Do you have any writing projects in the works right now?
Perry: I have been working on a comprehensive plan for rebuilding community among Congolese residents of a refugee camp in Southwest Uganda.
Q – What is next for Perry Prince?
Perry: I hope to have an opportunity to return to Uganda to help implement the ideas I’ve developed for community rebuilding with the many Congolese refugees living there, and to further my understanding of how best to serve that community.

No comments:

Post a Comment