Friday, October 16, 2009

Rhona Know-Prescott -- Angels on the Battlefield

Q – Why did you choose nursing? Was it something you wanted form an early age, or did the choice come later?
Rhona: Nursing chose me. My dream was to become an MD but, our family was not in a position to send me to college, I missed a scholarship by being #3 in my class and nursing school was the only affordable option. Once there though, I knew it was the right place.
Q – In your story, angels on the battlefield, you tell of using creative ways to obtain the much needed medical supplies. Is this story unusual, or does it tell more typically how things ‘get done’ during times of war?
Rhona: Probably not much discussed, "midnight requisitioning" was often the only way to accomplish a mission because the paper plans rarely matched the realty of need in a combat zone.
Q – You served seven years in the military during the Viet Nam war. How did this experience shape your future?
Rhona: Vietnam redefined who I was and am. Once shy and uncertain, nothing after Nam was impossibility. Fear was no longer a word in my vocabulary. If life called, I was and am there. And my children somehow took on the same philosophy.
Q – What was the hardest part for you of your work during the war?
Rhona: Seeing them slip away when I had the know how to save them... but not the equipment... especially when they had those round little whiskerless faces of youngsters.
Q – What is next for Rhona Knox-Prescott? Do you have any further plans for story/article writing?
Rhona: I have a novel, about 1/3 done, sleeping in my computer

No comments:

Post a Comment